Male contraception is coming, and is going to change the world. Here are 10 facts you may not have known about the most exciting part of the future of contraception.
10. Most new male contraceptive methods are 10-20 years away, although some methods could be here in less than 5 years.
9. Both men and women want men to participate in family planning decision-making.
8. Younger men are more open to a variety of male contraception methods.
7. There are male contraceptive methods in development that are safe, reversible, long-acting, and non-hormonal (Hurray! No side effects!).
6. Men are interested in both very long-term contraceptive methods and those they can take just before sex like Viagra.
5. There are herbal contraceptives in development that use drugs isolated directly from plants.
4. Contraception is a couples’ issue.
3. Contraception is a global issue.
2. Hormonal contraceptives for men like gels, pills, and shots are in human clinical trials now, and could be approved in the next decade.
1. Most couples are interested in a menu of safe contraception options that both men and women can use to meet their lifestyles and family planning needs.
Male Contraceptive Initiative is funding research and acting as a resource for all things male contraception. See some work in development, and learn what the future of contraception could be.
To learn more about the male reproductive system, please read these additional posts:
For simplified explanations of terminology related to male contraception, please visit our Glossary or check out our Podcast, Videos, and Webinars for all your information needs!