Vasectomy and condoms are the only current options for male contraception.The most popular form of long-acting male contraception is a vasectomy. Unfortunately, vasectomies are not considered truly reversible. Researchers are currently working on vas-occlusion devices that will be truly reversible in the future. Additionally, other male contraceptive options are working their way down the pipeline.
In the meantime, here are 10 facts about the most reliable form of male birth control existing today.
10. Vasectomies are generally very safe, and complications are rare.
9. Men who get a vasectomy say that they feel more free when having sex with their partner because they don’t have to worry about an unplanned pregnancy.
8. Getting a vasectomy is a simple outpatient procedure.
7. Approximately half a million men get the procedure each year in the U.S. – They are even more popular in the time around March Madness, where men can recover while watching the NCAA Tournament.
6. Vasectomy does not affect semen production. Instead, it prevents sperm from being transported to mix with other seminal fluids. Men who have vasectomies still experience normal orgasms!
5. It’s possible to reverse a vasectomy if a man changes his mind later and decides to have children. However, reversal success rates can vary between 40-90%. Researchers are working on vas-occlusive devices, which act like a vasectomy, but are intended to be truly reversible. Ultimately, only 3-5% of men request a reversal.
4. Vasectomies do not affect a man’s sexual function, sex drive or sex life.
3. The procedure and recovery is usually painless, and men generally experience minimal, if any, side effects.
2. Vasectomies are 99% effective at preventing unplanned pregnancies.
1. Every year, men and women globally celebrate World Vasectomy Day.
Male Contraceptive Initiative is making new options for men.While currently men have limited options for contraception, Male Contraceptive Initiative is funding research into non-hormonal, long-acting reversible male options. Ultimately, we’re after a menu of options that meets the needs of men and women alike. Join us